Since July 2012, Friends of China Camp (FOCC) has operated China Camp State Park, in cooperation with the California Department of Parks and Recreation. All fees collected at China Camp State Park stay within Friends of China Camp for use in operating the park; no fees go to Sacramento. FOCC and our State Parks partners are creating a partnerships model that will have an impact on the future of the entire California State Park system.
What State Parks Does:
- Provides administrative support and supervision of State Parks staff
- Provides loan of equipment
- Provides management of natural and cultural resources and ongoing review to ensure that all projects are in compliance with state and federal regulations.
- Maintains the drinking and waste water services
What FOCC Does:
- Manages all park operations, in cooperation with State Parks
- Contracts with the state for visitor and maintenance services
- Provides natural and cultural history programs
- Staffs the museum
- Assists visitors at the campground and the Ranger Station
- Patrols the Park’s trails with foot and bicycle ambassadors
- Organizes volunteer trail rebuilding and maintenance in cooperation with CalParks
- Organizes and staff the annual Heritage Day Celebration with State Parks
- Manages the Visitor Center
- Maintains the historic Chinese village
- Offers camping in both individual sites and a group site
- Collects and manage fees and donations
- Raises funds to keep the park open
How We Do It:
Fees collected by Friends of China Camp cover only part of the cost of keeping the park open and thriving. Every year, members of the community provide thousands of dollars in donations and approximately 10,000 volunteer hours to help operate the park. Although it is a state park, China Camp State Park is an invaluable community resource, and cannot survive without community support.
What You Can Do:
Join our community, to help China Camp thrive and FOCC grow. Friends of China Camp is a 501(c)3 organization; all donations are tax deductible.
With your participation, we will keep the Park open and thriving!