With social distancing and other restrictions lifted in California as of June 15, Friends of China Camp has completely reopened all park facilities. FOCC has also removed COVID-related restrictions for numbers of people at gatherings and special events. And just in time, since we’re as popular as ever. Once again, China Camp State Park has been voted Best Park/Open Space of Marin by the Pacific Sun. Incredibly, this is the 9th time we’ve been awarded Best in Marin. We take special pride in being honored this year, given that the “time of COVID 19” was a challenge for everyone to navigate.
One important note: The California Department of Public Health recommends that unvaccinated visitors wear masks in indoor areas, like our museum, cafe, campground bathrooms, and visitor center. See the California State Parks website for more information about current guidelines in State Parks across California.
Plan your trip to China Camp
Now that the park is fully reopened, here are tips and reminders to help make your visit enjoyable and safe.
Join a guided walk
Friends of China Camp is once again hosting in-person events in the park. Join a birding walk, or bring the kids for a nature crafts day. See our calendar for details.
Visit our day-use areas and campground
- All trails, beaches, and picnic areas are open.
- China Camp Village Museum and Village Cafe are open (masks recommended for unvaccinated visitors). Museum hours are 8 a.m. to sunset. The cafe is open 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. weekends, serving ice cream, hot and cold beverages (including beer), and sandwiches.
Book a picnic area or scenic point
Reservations are available for all locations. Note that group sizes are limited based upon site capacity. Contact us for more information and to reserve.
- Buckeye Point, Weber Point, Miwok Meadows, China Camp Point, and China Camp Village can now be reserved for group events.
- Outdoor recreation agencies and youth groups can apply for special-event use permits.
Reserve a campsite
Our 33 tent-only, hike-in sites, including our group site and our two hike-in/bike-in sites, have all been opened at Back Ranch Meadows Campground.
- Each site has a picnic table, fire pit grill fire ring, and nearby access to potable water and flush toilets. Firewood is available for sale every evening.
- Reservations are strongly advised, particularly for weekends and holidays. Book a site no less than 48 hours in advance at ReserveCalifornia.com, or call 1-800-444-7275.
- Same-day campsite reservations may be available on a first-come, first-serve basis after 2 p.m. Check at the campground kiosk or with the camp host on duty at the campground.